Superb Alto Saxophonist Christopher McBride has been slowly but steadily turning heads with his ubiquitous work as an invaluable sideman since the mid-aughts. Now the time has come for him to take a bow as a bandleader, and his 2012 debut album Quatuor de Force certainly establishes his ability to front a group and write his own soulful, melodically indelible tunes. Applauded for his ability to play in all musical situations, McBride has the ability to unleash a fiery attack and serrated tone, but on his recent album he explores a more measured, mellow sound heavily influenced by contemporary R&B—with a strong shot of Cannonball Adderley's post-bop sensuality–but his improvising is still rigorous and cogent.
- Festival Performance Date Friday, August 30, 2013
- Festival Performance Time 2:20 – 3:15pm
- Festival Performance Location / Address Millennium Park - Von Freeman Pavilion (South Promenade), 201 E Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60601
- Artist Website crmcbride.com
- Instrument Bass
- Facebook facebook.com/crmcbridemusic